Research Consultation & Reference Question Policy
The library’s research consultation & reference question policy is intended to provide patrons with the best possible experience during the research process.
All questions concerning library research should be directed to the Reference Office.
- Research Consultations are customized, private, one-on-one meetings with a reference librarian where we teach you how to research your specific topic.
- You can expect to learn such things as: selecting the best databases to search, search strategies, citing your sources, and options for obtaining items beyond SLC.
- All Research Consultations must be scheduled in advance by submitting the Research Consultation Request Form. Consultations are assigned to reference librarians regardless of student or professor preference.
- You will be contacted by email within 24 business hours (M-F) after you submit your request to confirm a date and time. Please contact the reference staff via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call x2225 if you do not receive a response within this time frame.
In Person/Phone Questions
- Brief questions about library resources that are asked in person will be directed to the reference librarians.
- A Research Consultation may be recommended if a question requires additional time or preparation. To ensure librarian availability, completing the Research Consultation Request Form is advised.