The library is committed to protecting the privacy of its users. Our policies conform to the code of ethics of The American Library Association that states in part, that “we must protect each library user’s right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired, or transmitted.“
- Circulation information is confidential; however, records are available to staff over a period of time for normal circulation workflow purposes.
- A patron’s record with a history of borrowing can only be produced as a special report by the Systems Librarian. There is no way for student or staff to look up a patron record and access this information.
- A book’s record with a history of circulation can be searched. Presently, access is limited to student supervisors and library access staff.
- Groups of student records are removed each year. A purge date equal to one year after the annual expiration date is assigned to each student record when it is entered. Expiration dates, and therefore, purge dates, move ahead year by year as students progress through school, and when a student leaves the College or graduates, the record is slated for removal the following year on the purge date.
- Faculty and staff records are removed manually when notice is received that they are no longer associated with the College.